PAN Card is a unique facility by the government of India through which the government identifies the very single tax payer of the country. PAN stands for Permanent Account Number and it has all your transaction details at one place . It has a complete database of all the current ta payers of the country.
Significance of PAN Card
It is not only a mere document which you use at the time of filing your tax returns , but it has other uses as well like opening a bank account, insurance payments , starting an FD , issuing of debit and credit cards etc. It is also used as a proof of your identity and also very useful in starting of foreign transactions. It is also useful in buying and selling houses , properties and vehicles.
Now, we know the usefulness of the PAN Card. In thus article we are gong to tell you how you can make your PAN Card online with the help of your mobile or your laptop.
Apply for a PAN Card Online on NSDL Website
If you are applying for a new PAN card, you will have to fill in Form 49A or 49AA depending on whether you are an Indian citizen or a foreign citizen. Keep in mind that this is primarily for applicants who don’t currently have a PAN card and have never applied for one. Here are the steps to follow:
- Visit the NSDL website’s Online PAN Application section
- Select your application type: Form 49A (Indian Citizens) or 49AA (Foreign Citizens) or Changes or Correction in PAN/Reprint of PAN Card.
- Select your Category. The options are: Individual, Association of Persons, Body of Individuals, Trust, Limited Liability Partnerships, Firm, Government, Hindu Undivided Family, Artificial Judicial Person, and Local Authority.
- Fill in the Title, Last name/surname, First name, Middle Name, Date of Birth/Incorporation/Formation in DD/MM/YYYY format, email ID, mobile number, and Captcha code. Submit the form.
- On the next page you will receive an acknowledgement with a token number. Click on ‘Continue with PAN Application Form’ on this page.
- You will be directed to fill in more personal details similar to Form 49A or Form 49AA. Input all the necessary information.
- Choose how you want to submit the documents. You can: a) Forward application documents physically; b) Submit digitally through digital signature; c) Submit digitally through e-sign.
- On the same page, indicate what documents you are submitting as proofs for identity, address, and date of birth. Confirm the declaration, place and date of application. Review and submit the form. Make sure you make no mistakes.
- Click on ‘Proceed’ and you will be taken to the payment options. Choose between Demand Draft and Online Payment through Bill Desk.
- If you choose Demand Draft, you will have had to make a DD before you begin the application process as you have to provide the DD number, date of issue, amount, and the name of the bank from where DD is generated on the portal.
- If you choose Bill Desk, you can pay through Net Banking, and Debit or Credit Cards.
- Click on ‘I agree to terms of service’ and proceed to pay. The PAN application fees will vary based on whether you are sending documents separately to NSDL or uploading online.
- If you pay by using your credit card or debit card or via net banking, you will receive an acknowledgement receipt and payment receipt. Print the acknowledgement receipt.
- Attach two recent photographs along with the acknowledgement receipt.
- After payment is confirmed, send the supporting documents via post or courier to NSDL.
- Once your documents are received, NSDL will process your application. If you have provided your office address as your preferred address for communication, you will also need to submit proof of office address along with your residential address proof.
Apply for a PAN Card Online on UTIITSL Website
- The procedure to apply for your PAN card on the UTIITSL website is similar to the one above. The only difference is that you have to first visit https://www.pan.utiitsl.com/PAN/# one.
- Once you fill in the details and get the acknowledgement receipt you will need to take a print out of the same and mail it to your nearest UTIITSL office along with copies of the required documents.
Charges for PAN Card Online
Apart from applying for a PAN Card, you can also make corrections, changes, or request for a PAN Card reprint online. You can apply for a PAN Card on the official website of UTITSL or NSDL.
In case the communication address is in India, the charges levied for applying for a PAN Card is Rs.93 (exclusive of GST). In the case of a foreign communication address, the charges levied for applying for a PAN Card is Rs.864 (exclusive of GST).
Once the payment has been made, you must submit the relevant documents. The PAN application will be processed only if the relevant documents have been processed.
Documents required for PAN Card Online
Date of Birth Proof Certificate
One of the below-mentioned documents may be submitted as proof of date of birth:
- An affidavit sworn before a magistrate stating the date of birth.
- The marriage certificate that has been issued by a Registrar of Marriages.
- Pension payment order.
- Health Service Scheme photo card provided by the Central Government.
- Ex-servicemen can provide the Contributory Health Scheme photo card.
- Domicile certificate that has been issued by the Government.
- Any photo identity card that has been issued by the State Government or Central Government.
- Any photo identity card that has been issued by a State Public Sector Undertaking or Central Public Sector Undertaking.
- Birth certificate that has been issued by a municipal authority.
- Mark sheet or Matriculation certificate that has been provided by a recognised board.
- Driving License.
- Elector’s photo identity card.
- The Aadhaar Card that has been issued by the UIDAI.
Proof of Address
|Photo copy of any one of these documents|
|Photo copy of these documents (not over three months)|
Proof of Identity
|Photo copy of any one document|
Applying for a PAN Card Offline
- Go to the official NSDL website – https://www.tin-nsdl.com/
- Select ‘Application Type’ and click on ‘Form 49A’if you are a resident. If you are a non-resident individual (NRI) or a foreign national, click on ‘Form 49AA’.
- Download this form.
- Fill in the application form.
- Upload photo copies of all supporting documents (elaborated in the section below) along with a passport size photograph.
- You should pay a fee of Rs.110 which can be paid via cash or demand draft.
- On your envelope, you should write ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN -N-15 DIGIT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT NUMBER’. Example, ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN — N-881010200000063’).
- Send the envelope to this address:
- Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016
PAN Card Update/Correction Online
You can easily update/correct your details in a PAN card by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Visit www.tin-nsdl.com, the official website of NSDL E-Governance.
- Under Services Section, Click on “PAN”.
- Click “Apply” under the “Change/Correction in PAN Data” section.
- From the ‘Application Type’ dropdown menu, select ‘Changes or Correction in existing PAN data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in Existing PAN Data)’.
- From the ‘Category’ dropdown menu, select the correct category of the assesse. For example, if the PAN is registered in your name, select ‘Individual’ from the list.
- Now, enter your name, date of birth, email address, and mobile number.
- Fill the Captcha and click on “Submit”.
- Your request will be registered and a Token Number will be sent to the email ID provided by you. You can continue the process by clicking the button given below it.
- After you proceed, you will be redirected to the form – there are three options to submit your documents, click on “Submit scanned images through e-Sign on NSDL e-gov”.
- Fill in all the necessary details such as your father’s name, mother’s name (optional), your Aadhaar number and click on ‘Next’.
- You will now be redirected to a new page where you can update your address.
- Upload all the necessary documents such as proof of address, proof of age, proof of identity and PAN.
- You need to sign the declaration and click “Submit”.
- You will be redirected to the payment page. Payment can be made through demand draft, net banking, and Credit card/Debit card.
- On successful payment, an acknowledgement slip will be generated. The applicant should take a print of it and send it to the NSDL e-gov office along with the physical proof of documents. Also, affix a photograph in the space provided and sign across it. Write ‘Application for PAN Change’ on top of the envelope along with the acknowledgement number.
How to Apply for A PAN Card Name Change
- Visit the official UTI website.
- On the left hand side of the screen, click on ‘For change/correction in PAN Card click here’.
- Now, click on ‘Apply for Change/Correction in PAN Card details (CSF)‘
- This will take you to a page wherein you will be allowed to enter details you would like to change.
- Upload the documents as requested in the form and click on ‘Submit‘.
- Your changes will then be reflected in a few days.
Documents Required to Change Your Name in PAN card
The following are the documents required to change your name in the PAN card:
- Aadhaar card
- Voter ID
- Driving license
- Newspaper advertisement with changed name
- In case of surname change after marriage, husband’s passport
Charges for Update/Correction in existing PAN Card
For correction in PAN Details, you need to pay the fees towards the same. The amount of the fee is the same for new PAN applications and for PAN update/correction. The charges are –
- Rs 110, if the communication address is within India
- Rs 1,020, if the communication address is outside India
Documents needed for PAN Card Correction/Update
Here is a list of documents that individuals and companies need to submit if they wish to make changes or correct details on their PAN card:
Indian Citizens and Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
|Identity Proof||Address Proof||Date of Birth Proof|
|Aadhaar card||Aadhaar card||Aadhaar card|
|Voter ID||Voter ID||Voter ID|
|Driving license||Driving license||Driving license|
|Passport||Passport or spouse’s passport||Passport|
|Ration card with the applicant’s photo||Post office passbook with the applicant’s address||Mark sheet or m articulation certificate from a recognised board|
|Arm’s license||Latest property tax assessment order||Birth certificate|
|Any photo identity card issued by the central government, state government, or a public sector undertaking||Allotment letter of accommodation not more than three years old (issued by the state or central government)||Any photo identity card issued by the central government, state government, or a public sector undertaking|
|Pensioner’s card which has a photo of the applicant||Central government issued domicile certificate||Central government issued domicile certificate|
|Central government health service scheme card/ex-servicemen contributory health scheme card (with photo)||Property registration document||Central government health service scheme card/ex-servicemen contributory health scheme card (with photo)|
|Electricity bill, landline bill, broadband connection, water bill, piped gas bill (not more than 3 months old)||Pension payment order|
|Bank account statement, credit card statement (not more than 3 months old)||Affidavit sworn before a magistrate|
|Gas connection card (not more than 3 months old)||Marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages|
|Certificate of identity signed by an MP, MLA, MLC, or a gazetted officer||Certificates of address signed by an MP, MLA, MLC, or a gazetted officer||–|
|Bank certificate on the bank’s official letterhead with the name and stamp of the issuing officer (must also contain an attested photograph and bank account details)||Employer certificate||–|
|An affidavit made by the Karta stating name, father’s name, and address of all members on the date of application|
For Foreign Citizens
|Identity Proof||Address Proof|
|Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card||Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card|
|Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card||Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card|
|Citizenship identification number of the applicant (if they are a citizen of another country)||Citizenship identification number of the applicant (if they are a citizen of another country)|
|Tax payer identification number attested by Apostille, the Indian Embassy, the Indian High Commission, the Indian Consulate, or authorised officials of scheduled banks registered in India which have branches overseas||Tax payer identification number attested by Apostille, the Indian Embassy, the Indian High Commission, the Indian Consulate, or authorised officials of scheduled banks registered in India which have branches overseas|
|Bank account statement (in the country of residence)||–|
|NRE bank account statement in India||–|
|Certificate of Residence in India||–|
|Registration certificate issued by the Foreigner’s Registration Office (must show an Indian address)||–|
|Visa, appointment letter from an Indian company, and original certificate of Indian address issued by the employer||–|
Indian companies require:
|Type of Company||Documents (Copy of)|
|Company||Certificate of registration|
|Partnership||Certificate of registration or partnership deed|
|Limited Liability Partnership||Certificate of registration issued by the Registrar of LLPs|
|Association of Persons (Trust)||Trust deed, certificate of registration number issued by Charity Commissioner|
|Artificial Juridical Person, Body of Individuals, Local Authority, or Association of Persons||Agreement copy, certificate of registration number issued by Charity Commissioner registration of cooperative society, or any other document provided by a central or state government department|
Companies with a Registered Office Outside India
|Identity Proof||Address Proof|
|Tax payer identification number attested by Apostille, the Indian Embassy, the Indian High Commission, the Indian Consulate, or authorised officials of scheduled banks registered in India which have branches overseas|
|Registration certificate issued in India or approval granted by Indian authorities to set up an office in India||Registration certificate issued in India or approval granted by Indian authorities to set up an office in India|
Things to know before applying PAN Update/Correction
While submitting the form for any corrections to be made on your PAN card online, do note the following:
- Individuals should not use abbreviations in their first and last names.
- Non-individuals (companies and partnerships), should write their full name as it is.
- For example, if your company’s name is ‘XYZ Computer Corporation Private Limited’, in the space that says last name/surname, you will fill ‘XYZ Computer Corporation Private Limited’.
- If there is no place in the first row, you can continue the name of the corporation in the second row.
- Ensure that there are no abbreviations in the company’s name.
- For individuals, if your PAN card has an incorrect or unclear photograph or signature, you will also have to submit your original PAN card when you submit the acknowledgement.
How to Check PAN Card Correction Status
You can check the post the correction being submitted with the acknowledgement number. This number is received post successful submission of the form.
All you have to do is navigate to the website and select ‘Track PAN Card’. Once the window opens, enter the tracking number (acknowledgement number in case of NSDL and application coupon number in case of UTIITSL), your PAN number (if required), and other details. Hit ‘Submit’ and track the status of the change.